150th Anniversary of the Voyage of the Avery
Mon Nov 28, 10:30 AM
The 150th Anniversary of the first complete voyage on the Shubenacadie Canal and Waterway will be celebrated by several avid canoeists. The plan is to arrive at the wharf in Maitland on 29 of November, exactly 150 years to the day that the first boat made the trip... the MV Avery.
Here is the plan as it stands right now...
Sunday 27 Nov: Across the Harbour
- 2:00 pm - Leave the Customs Wharf with a "Letter of Marque" (now the Cable Wharf)
- 3:00 pm - Arrive at the mouth of the Canal in Dartmouth
Monday, 28 Nov: Up the Canal and down the river
- Leave at first light - from the Canal Entrance
- Exit the river dusk - probably at the Village of Shubenacadie (total distance 75km)
Tuesday 29 Nov : to the Bay of Fundy
- Enter the river at first light - at the Wharf at the Village of Shubenacadie
- Pull over at the wharf in South Maitland and wait out the tidal bore (total distance 25km)
- 3:00 pm - Arrive Ceremony at the government wharf in Maitland (another 14 km)
Shubenacadie Christmas Tree Lighting
Mon Nov 28, 9:55 AM
Come One! Come All! Join us in the Royal Bank Parking Lot on Friday, December 2nd beginning at 6:30pm to watch the annual lighting of the Shubenacadie Christmas Tree. There will be Hot Chocolate and Carol Singing for your enjoyment. Please bring a Foodbank item to donate.
Remembrance Day Moved inside…
Fri Nov 11, 10:44 AM
The Shubenacadie Legion is inviting everyone to attend the Remembrance Commemorations MOVED INSIDE to the United Church.
Bring the whole family.
You are invited back to the Legion for Hot Chocolate afterwords...
Wading Pool roof finally repaired
Tue Nov 01, 9:36 AM
The Wading Pool roof has been leaking for 2 years, but thanks to a generous donation of supplies and a dumpster from Amigos Roofing we were able to re-shingle the roof. A special thanks goes out to Kim Williams who took time from his busy schedule to be on hand to guide the volunteers and replace the roof. I would also like to thank Greg Elliot, Tyson Elliot, Austin Elliot, Alan MacLeod Jr., Burton, Connor, Orrin, and Felicia Matthews who helped under Kim's guidance.
Now that the Roof has been replaced we hope to move on to the playground. The Hall and Grounds Committee is still looking for someone to look after the playground and coordinate repairs. If you are interested please contact Bernadette 758-3395.